Only 18 school summer holidays!
So, my plan for surviving the school holidays this year is to look for the smaller moments of joy:
- I’m going to breathe in every moment they ask for a snuggle.
- Every giggle that slips out when one of us (normally me) does something absolutely hilarious.
- I’m going to abandon those moments of seriousness.
- Let them indulge in sleepovers in each others rooms at night, with sweets and popcorn and films together.
- I’ll let them ignore their work completely over the summer, no catching up here because they aren’t running a race and there’s no finish line to cross.
- Listen to them, everything they are saying and all those hidden fears their not.
- Be absolutely ridiculous, I mean ‘mini-disco abroad when you don’t care who’s there because you’ll never see them again’ ridiculous.
And I’m going to be kind, to everyone around me that’s feeling just as clueless about how to feel and act in this bizarre and sad time, but most importantly to myself because parenthood is hard and wonderful and strange and everything in-between and being kind to yourself is the best thing we can all do.
Have fun, stay safe and enjoy those summer moments.
Looking for a few ideas, download our app for 5 ideas on what to do as a family that isn’t computer based: